Question: What would you teach of history to an American ten year old?
- What is the Matter of America?
- How should the material be presented?
- How should the material be tested?
We present 36 topics, in rough (but overlapping) chronological order, and of similar importance.
Chapter 1: The Rise of Man
- The human body: an owner's manual
- includes information about the senses, nutrition, and physical health
- The Big Bang and the formation of the Sun and the Earth
- includes some basic physics and chemistry
- The Tree of Life and The Age of Dinosaurs
- includes some basic biology
- Evolving out of African Apes
- Fire, Tools, and Agriculture
- The Old World and the New World
- largely Geography - an overview of Continents, Countries, and Cities
Chapter 2: The Old World
- Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia
- Greece and Rome
- China and India
- Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism
- Life in the Middle Ages
- The Renaissance and the Reformation
Chapter 3: The Dawn of a Nation